Monday 19 May 2014

Around my home : Llolyd Loom

Ive never really been a fan of Lloyd loom furniture. A bit too shabby chic for me. However when my mum told me she was saving me a 1950's Lloyd loom chair i was interested! We used it in my daughters bedroom to sit on to feed her before bed.

With the addition of a Gin cushion it is so comfy to sit on.

 The chair isnt made from wicker or cane but paper.  Invented in 1917 by American Marshall B. Lloyd. paper is wrapped round a steel wire providing a tough material that as it is smooth will not snag clothing as some wicker furniture can.
 In 1922 British Company Lloyd Loom got the license to manufacture in England. The beauty of these pieces is that they can be painted any colour to fit in with your home. We picked grey for ours. When buying Lloyd loom chairs turn the chair upside down to check for a makers mark. Although some are made of card so over the years may have come off. Below is the makers mark on my chair. This one is a plastic plaque.


No comments:

Post a Comment